Last weekend, I made half a batch of Martha Stewart's pretzel bites and divided my dough into two parts. One part I cut into little bites and boiled before IQF'ing them (Individual Quick Frozen) and putting them in a Zip-Loc. The other half I cut into bites, IQF'd and froze without boiling them first.

So, I put the pre-boiled bites on a baking sheet, brushed them with egg white, sprinkled some kosher salt on 'em and baked them until golden. The others, I boiled then baked.
Here are the results:

The one on the left is from the boiled/baked this evening batch and the one on the right was boiled before it was frozen. Gropius and I agreed that the boiled/frozen/baked batch definitely had better texture than the frozen/boiled/baked batch. So, the conclusion was when preparing to have a stash of pretzels in the freezer, boil them before freezing them so you just have to pop them in the oven (although, unfortunately, I think you have to defrost them first).
Regardless, we enjoyed both with a spicy, whole grain mustard. Mmmmm!
No comments:
Post a Comment