Monday, August 8, 2011

New Mexican Tomato Tart

IMG_0092

I really wanted a tomato tart yesterday for dinner, but I didn't want the same ol', same old.  So, I tweaked a recipe to add blue cornmeal, Chimayo powder, ground cumin, and fresh oregano from the garden.  I liked that the original recipe only used 2 Tb butter and 2 Tb olive oil, too.  The tart dough smelled SO delicious, especially when we baked it!  There was a nice level of heat without being overpowering and it just smelled like Taos.  We topped the tart crust with a thin schmear of Dijion mustard, thinly sliced Vidalias, some lardons of bacon, and tomatoes from the garden (we can't remember which heirloom variety we planted!).  Then Gropius put together a mixture of grated cheese we had on hand (mostly the remants of the Swiss/German alpine cheeses from earlier this summer), a couple of eggs, some fresh thyme from the garden, and a dash of half-n-half.  We baked it for about 20-25 minutes.

We enjoyed it with a Gruet Pinot Noir that we picked up at BevMo's 5-cent sale for a great Sunday dinner.

No comments: