Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Dieter Bros

The night before we left Texas, my entire family went out for barbeque at Dieter Bros Restaurant in Lindsay, TX. Lindsay (contrary to the name) was settled by German immigrants to Texas (as was nearby Muenster) who adapted the local cuisine and made it their own. Consequently, the best BBQ joints are run by Germans who also serve smoked sausage and "German" sausage (I'm putting that in quotation marks for the Gropius's family) which is more like a variant of kielbasa than a bratwurst.





The weather was cold, so we bundled the kids up in jackets and Mom put one of her hats on my niece:



We all arrived at Dieters (next door to The Smokehouse--also good BBQ) and I snapped a few quick shots of the outside. I especially like the drive-through BBQ to go option:





Inside, Dieters is like any other Texas BBQ joint that's not a chain restaurant:




And the menu is pretty much identical, too (although some BBQ joints don't offer a special German plate):



My brother ordered a single children's chicken strip meal for both kids and my niece was having fun licking the gravy off the french fries:




I guess that's a Texas thing? Cream-style gravy with fries? The waitresses as Texas Roadhouse always look at me funny when I ask for it special on the side....which makes me wonder exactly how "Texan" that restaurant really is??

No comments: