Saturday, June 9, 2012

Lunch

We took a short drive to the Fränkische Schweiz this morning for a(nother) walk in the woods, a wonderful lunch at Hohenstein, and some really beautiful pictures.

We stopped at a Wirtshaus (restaurant) in Hohenstein that had a beautiful terrace out front on which to eat lunch.  Everyone else was hoping for forelle (fresh trout) but had to be satisfied with (Norwegian) salmon steaks or schnitzel instead.  (I guess the local fisherman hadn't had any luck lately?)  I had a beautiful pork chop with delicate onion rings on top and perfectly sauteed potato wedges that went perfectly with my wine (Nordheimer Vögelein for those of you keeping track at home).

Afterwards, we enjoyed a local speciality called a windbeutel which is a type of profiterole stuffed with ice cream and whipped cream and topped with powdered sugar.  Gropius really wanted the sour kirschen one, so he and Lulu split one while I had another (small) one with gingered pears, walnut ice cream, slivered almonds, and caramel sauce.  My in-laws split a big strawberry one.

DSCF4003
I had Isaak's Lieblings-Windbeutel
Afterwards, we hiked/climbed up the short trail to the top of the Hohenstein Berg to look back in the direction of Nürnberg.  According to my father-in-law, they built the Berg as a look-out/signal tower for the folks back in Nürnberg, to warn them if someone was coming because it's the highest place in the Fränkische Schweiz.  And sure enough, we could see the Fernsehturm (TV Tower) of Nürnberg in the distance!

Enough description already!  A picture's worth a thousand words anyway....

DSCF3990
my wine
DSCF3992
Gropius's beer (locally brewed, of course!)
DSCF3993
my meal
DSCF3994
everyone else's
(and for the record I *did* finish and eat my salad, too!)
DSCF3995
sour cherry windbeutel
DSCF3996
the in-laws' strawberry windbeutel (the BIG size!)
DSCF3997
my small one enjoyed with a cappucino
DSCF4008
pure deliciousness...and the windbeutel wasn't bad either!

No comments: