Friday, November 4, 2011

Bourbon

Gropius and I went to The Grange in the Citizen Hotel last night for dinner as a celebration of turning in my tenure file.  They were having a bourbon tasting dinner with 5 courses each accompanied by a separate bourbon cocktail.  Yeah.

IMG_0779

Per my mother-in-law's request, here is a blow-by-blow of our meal.
First Course:
IMG_0760
Woodford Bourbon served neat with hand-cut ice

IMG_0763
Smoked Butternut Squash Bisque with Pumpkin Ragout and Duck Ham
(is Duck Ham an oxymoron?)

Bread basket interlude:
IMG_0764

IMG_0761
salted, rosemary buttah

Second Course:
IMG_0766
bourbon, grapefruit juice, and black pepper honey syrup

IMG_0767
(apologies--we dug in before I remembered to take a picture!)
Bourbon-glazed Pork Belly with Celery Root and Brussel Sprouts

Third Course:
IMG_0770
bourbon appletini-type thing with a poached pear (very tasty!)

IMG_0771
sous vide salmon over braised, bacon-y greens

Fourth Course:
IMG_0772
Ta-Dah!  The Mint Julep.

IMG_0773
Hanger (hangar?) steak with fingerling potatoes and baby carrots

Dessert Course:
IMG_0775
bourbon, walnut liqueur with pecan/pepita brittle garnish

IMG_0776
poached pear with cranberry sauce and blue cheese gougere-type thingie
(I didn't like the blue cheese part)

We had a wonderful meal meanwhile Lulu had a great time at home with her favorite teacher from Merryhill, Miranda. It was really bittersweet because 'Randa is leaving next week to move back home to Fresno to finish up her teaching credentialing program and I don't know what we're going to do without her. Seriously. No idea. But that's another post entirely.

No comments: