Saturday, November 12, 2011

Meals in Miami

We enjoyed some really good food while we were in Miami!

On Thursday, our friend Sarah joined us for lunch at a Cuban cafe a short walk (sort of, the humidity made any walk seem longer!) from our hotel.  We enjoyed traditional pressed Cuban sandwiches that were delicious!  Lulu really got into her hazelnut and banana sandwich as you can see:

IMG_0840
My sandwich

IMG_0838
licking off the nutella after she picked out the banana slices to eat

IMG_0834

IMG_0833
quite satisfied with her mess!

And that evening, we took a taxi to the "design district" and ate at a great place called Michael's Genuine Food and Drink. We sat outside on the patio and got to enjoy the weather, the food, and the company. A woman straight out of Real Housewives of um, Miami walked over to the table across from ours with these:

IMG_0851
apologies for the fuzzy shot--low lighting, quick moving dogs and trying not to be noticed

I kid you not. It was quite the experience--it's not everyday you see Maltese being pushed around in a glorified stroller.

Lulu's favorite part of our meal was dessert and I have to say I think I agree with her. The pastry chef is really inventive and creative and does her job well! Lulu had two scoops of white chocolate hazelnut ice cream paired with one scoop of buttered popcorn ice cream. I know! It sounds crazy, but the combination worked and it was delicious (at least the tiny bit Lulu was willing to let us try).

IMG_0856

And I had a smoky brownie ala mode made with a scotch caramel sauce. It was also covered in pecans (my favorite!! I love the South):

IMG_0854

And Gropius had a white chocolate tart with some sort of cranberry compote that was delicious as well:

IMG_0855

I wish I could tell you exactly what we had but when I checked the dessert menu on the restaurant's website, the pastry chef had already moved on! Lots of places tell you that they change the menu daily, but I think this place really does!

The wine list was also AMAZING. The sommelier and owner/manager have done a really nice job of showcasing little known wines from Austria and we definitely took advantage of the opportunity...to the point that when we ordered our dessert wines, the owner didn't even have to ask which table the order was for! The wine we enjoyed with dinner was a nice one and I wish I could've tried the sparkling wines and rosé, too.

IMG_0852

No comments: