Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Calzones

In between a gym visit and heading to campus yesterday morning, I put together some calzone dough to rise while I was gone. I don't think I've made them since we moved to California and it just seemed like a calzone sort of day. I really like Donna Hay's recipe that was printed in a Better Homes and Gardens I read one summer while living in Mo'town, WV with Gropius. It took me a while, but I finally tracked down the recipe.

Calzone Dough
ripe with potential....

Our were stuffed with tomato sauce, provolone cheese, salami, and roasted red bell peppers. After sealing them up, I brushed them with olive oil and they were ready for baking:

Calzones Ready for Oven
I got better at sealing as I went--this is the last/best one of the bunch.

And, boy, were they tasty! We even made one for Lulu--although hers had swiss cheese and black beans instead. And she gobbled hers up, too, which made this momma very happy. She went to her play kitchen and brought over her rolling pin to "help" me roll out the calzones. Then she wanted to help stuff and seal them--at which point Gropius took over and they had some pretend play in her room instead.

Calzone Hot from the Oven
Sbarro's couldn't do it any better!

No comments: